Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Ride For Haiti, part 2, Day 9, Devotion


May 9, 2011
Devotion

Matthew 28:5-6  “Then the angel  spoke to the women.  Don’t be afraid!  He said.  I know you are looking for Jesus who was crucified.  He isn’t here!  He  is risen from the dead,  just as he said would happen.”

Sometimes you have to go through a rough patch before you get to experience the joy.  Today I had two experiences that left an impression on me.  The first is I was riding down hill at a fairly fast speed when suddenly the pavement ended and I found myself in grass and gravel.  I had to make a split second  decision, do I turn the handlebars quickly to the right and try to get back on the smooth road surface or do I ride through this rough patch.  I decided to go through the rough gravel and grass because to have  tried, at this speed, to force my wheel  out of the gravel and  onto the road could have  ended with a wipeout onto the road or gravel.  Better to just patiently ride  through the rough stuff until it ends and then get back onto the road.  The second experience I had today was when I was riding through this long uphill stretch.  It kept going, I  had to gear down to the lowest gears, my legs were getting tired.  It was rough.  Finally, I got to the top and what I saw was this huge several acres meadow of  beautiful brilliant yellow and blue  flowers.  It was breath taking....the little I still had left.  The beauty at the  top made the  rough  stretch worth it.
I return to  the text I opened with which is one of the familiar Easter gospel texts.  The women and disciples who followed Jesus went through a very difficult stretch for  three years as they followed Jesus.  The worst were those  last very confusing days when all their hopes and dreams were  dashed with Jesus’ death on the cross.  But then came the resurrection.  A miracle.  A new reality.  Jesus was  offering them more  than they ever imagined.  Going through the rough patch was worth it beyond any measure.
In our life of faith and  obedience there will be many rough stretches.  We  will experience them in school and work, in all our relationships with spouses, children, parents, friends and coworkers.  We will experience  difficult times in our finances, in our health and in our careers.  Rough patches are a part of life.  And sometimes they are even rougher because we are trying to remain faithful to our Lord Jesus.  My friends, after every Good  Friday there is an Easter for those who believe and trust in Jesus.  And believe me, it’s worth it to remain faithful.

Prayer:  Gracious Father, I pray for your courage and strength to get through the rough patches in life trusting that you will be there with me through it all and there will be grace on the other side.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment